|ABOUT US - OVERVIEW
Deadwood Magazine, founded in 1991, delivers quality features on the history, recreation, art, culture and characters of the American West every month. Articles are especially focused on the town of Deadwood and the Black Hills region. Complimentary copies are available at select locations in South Dakota and Wyoming. Subscriptions, which are mailed during the last week of every month, are available internationally. For more details, click here.
The publication was started by longtime Black Hills resident Rena Webb. In July 2005 Deadwood Magazine was acquired by TDG Communications. Tom and Nyla Griffith are the current publishers. More details on the magazine's history are available in the Where We've Been section.
Our offices are located at 93 Sherman Street, right across from Deadwood City Hall and the Lawrence County Courthouse, in the Dr. John J. Clark Building. Clark built the structure in 1880; at the time, it was one of the only two-story buildings in that part of Deadwood. Half the building was Clark's dentist office, and the other half was his wife's millinery store. When Clark died in 1883, the building became the Irvine Hotel. Around 1910 the name was changed to the Star Hotel. Of course, in those days "hotel" was often a respectable moniker for a less-than-respectable house of ill repute...
Part of the building may have served as a meeting room for the Odd Fellows, who owned the building from 1895 until 1928. The structure was then purchased by Frank Merritt, who remodeled the building with a quasi-Tudor style façade - a façade the structure maintains today. It remained Merritt's Grocery Store for many years, although it later served as an antiques store and an apartment building.
In 1990 the rear portion of the building was demolished and rebuilt, while the front half was remodeled with modern electrical and plumbing. Goofy's Casino was a tenant for a time, but like many casinos on Sherman Street, it was short-lived. After being vacant for a while, it was purchased and remodeled by TDG Communications in 2002. It is one of the two oldest buildings on Sherman Street.
Copyright © 2006 TDG Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
TDG Communications, Inc.
93 Sherman Street Deadwood, South Dakota 57732
605.722.7111 FAX: 605.722.7112